My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://yournewblog.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Working With Difficult People

I do. One person in particular. I have worked with this person in the past and thought that I never would again, but what do you know? I do. I'm not very good at it. I let this person get under my skin because it is very easy to do that. I don't speak highly of this person when they are not around. I could tell you all of the things they do and you would understand why. You would laugh and cringe and I'm sure you would relate because there are difficult people all over this place. I have been struggling with being nicer to this person for a while and I can tell you I'm not making too much of an effort.

I would like to share with you what I think God thinks about it. This is what Jesus said (in Matthew 5:43):

Valerie,
"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.'
But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you
in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
(I think by this He meant He gives everyone a fair chance. Any thought?)
For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax-gatherers do the same?
And if you greet your brothers only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?
Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

There are so many people in my life that are easy to love. I have the best family and friends. I have a husband who washed my feet when I got home from work last night. I have a community of people here in Gainesville that care about me and pray for me and tell me I look cute pregnant. I walked outside today and was greeted by more beautiful weather than I could ever ask for. Actually, I don't think there has been a time in my life when I have been happier than I am today.

Would it be so hard to love this person? To pray for them? To greet them? Would it be so hard to be perfect, as my heavenly Father is perfect?

Yes.

I started thinking about what it meant to be perfect. At first, I got frustrated with the ending of this passage. What kind of encouragement is that?? "Oh, hey, Val. Jesus here. Don't worry, all you have to do to this enemy of yours is be perfect like I am." Thanks Jesus.

But I know Him better than that. He has given me a way. He said all I have to do is ask, and I will be perfect, as He is. Whiter than snow.

No comments: