My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://yournewblog.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Space Travel


Hopefully the fact that you are still reading my blog means you are entertained by either stories about pregnancy or funny little kids, cause that's all I've got tonight.

An oldie but a goodie that I heard on the basketball court (try and add a little sing-song tone):
"Girls go to college to get more knowledge, boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."
And then, "Mrs. Valerie, ain't that true? Tell Rosny that's true."
Why yes, it is very factual that while girls go to college to continue their education, yet somehow miss out on basic grammar, boys usually travel to some other planet where their IQs actually go down. Yes.

And then today, while testing 4th graders, I felt like the little kid with giggles. One sweet boy was sitting with his legs "criss cross apple sauce" as politically correct teachers like to call "Indian style" these days when he farted. He just kept on reading like a mature person while I bit my pen to keep from laughing.

Then a girl innocently read "Tidy Island" as "Titty Island." What kind of show does she think we're running here?

Good thing my work day ended early for a doctor's appointment, otherwise my giggles might have turned into chants about Jupiter and cooties.

It turns out Carver and I are healthy as can be. I've gained 2 pounds since last visit (4 weeks ago). That makes 17 pounds total. Sounds good to me. My doctor also told me that at this point, 28 weeks through 32 weeks is when I will feel him move the most. Then he starts getting too big to move around a lot. Now my doctor's visits will start to be every 3 weeks.

She also said I need to get a flu shot, drink lots of water and not eat too much at once (or else blegghhhhh-that's vomit). I have definitely noticed being more tired lately, but that's about all that's changed.

Ok, get ready for the serious part. I have been thinking a lot about my friends and family that fall somewhere on the spectrum of not being able to get pregnant to having difficult pregnancies to having premature babies with health problems. Watching Baby Mama probably contributed to this deep thought. If you've never seen the movie, its very funny. Tina Fey can't get pregnant so Amy Poller becomes her surrogate mother.

But seriously, that God chose Ethan and I to be parents already makes me feel so honored and in awe. That my baby and I have been so healthy amazes me. I just want to throw this out there: I do not take it for granted. Every day I think about how lucky and blessed I am. A lady at church who I've never really talked to before even came up to me and commented on how easy my pregnancy has seemed. I'm not exactly sure how she knew it has been without hiccups, but she is so right. She must have gone to college to get more knowledge.

Then, my guidance counselor friend, Amanda and I were talking about the kids at her high school and how so many of them get pregnant on accident. And Natalie counsels moms all the time that didn't really intend on becoming moms. I know I'm not the first one to struggle with this, but I just don't get it.

There is a healthy, playful 5th grade boy that I tested this week. We'll call him "Justice." Justice came to school last year for the first time knowing only the names of a few letters. Justice now knows about as many sight words as he can count on his fingers. Where are this delightful young man's parents??? All this makes me want to weep, adopt all the kids I can get my hands on, hug all the young moms Natalie and Amanda work with, hug all the moms who are trying to get pregnant and can't and just cry for it all. Most of all, it makes me want to fall to my knees and cry thanks for Carver and his health.

No comments: