My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://yournewblog.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Quiet Minds

This Sunday a handlebar mustache-less friend of mine that is also a priest at our church talked about peace and having a quiet mind. It made me think of my two biggest distractions, financial worries and writing in my blog. I wish that my last comment was a little more impressive, like "...the two things I always think about, saving the environment and promoting adult literacy." Oh well.

So, this friend of mine apparently has many talents because he also teaches high school. He gave his kids a challenge for extra credit. It had three very unattainable components. He thought in order to eliminate the distractions of everyday life (including blood-sugar surges) they should eat beans and rice for every meal, stop using or watching TV/video games/iPods/etc. and practice not thinking about anything. I think he gave them this challenge mostly to mess with them. Oh the joys of teaching.

So I was going to give up blogging for the week. Keep in mind that this sermon was Sunday and today is, well, Monday. I was thinking about leaving some funny note about how I will be gone for the week eating beans and rice, but then I thought only one or two people would get it and it wouldn't even be that funny. So I decided not to leave you in anticipation. What would you do for a whole week of not knowing about my life??? But I am going to try to give over silly and not so silly worries to God.

On a totally different note, Carver has been moving A LOT. Not really more frequently, just more like an elephant that's trying to fit in a Smart Car. I seriously don't think my uterus can get any bigger. It now goes from, you know, where uteri start to 3 inches above my belly button. So sometimes it just feels like Carver/Elephant is doing nice little flips in me/Smart Car, but sometimes it feels like his appendages are denting my exterior. He must have his Aunt Natalie's razor sharp elbows. Mostly I don't mind the internal bumps. Its a really cool reminder that he is healthy and growing. However, every now and then, its a little awkward. The lady at the deli counter in Publix looked puzzled at my "woohoew" and my flinch. She probably thinks I peed my pants. Which I may have. A little.

Here are some other things I like to let myself get distracted thinking about:
Redecorating our living room
How I wish I could read the Harry Potter series for the first time again (Dan, you're so close!)
Becoming an ultrasound technician
Crafts to make
What's for dinner
Creative ways to make extra income
When is Sweet Dreams going to have Spicy Mayan Chocolate again?
Cloth vs. biodegradable disposable diapers
Going to NC
How my belly button is a good 1in. off center
Friends I want to visit
Getting to bed earlier (although last night I pulled a 7:50!!!)

Good night.
Grant, we beseech thee, merciful Lord, to thy faithful people pardon and peace, that they may be cleansed from all their sins, and serve thee with a quiet mind; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Val! No updates on your life for a whole week! How will someone so newly addicted ever make it!?
Patrick's sermon kicked butt this week. I had to leave early but I got a LOT out of it just for the 15 min I got to hear.

Kathy said...

p.s. i think fart is ok to say. i say it all the time.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog Valerie, and I love it! I am so thrilled that you are becoming a Mommy-it is simply fantastic, the coolest privilege I have ever had in my life! I hope your pregnancy continues seamlessly and you meet baby Carver right on time!