My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://yournewblog.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 30, 2009

CONTEST!!!

The day I went into labor I had a brilliant idea. I actually considered blogging while in labor, that's how excited I was about this idea. Here goes... (luckily, I just spelled "goes" right. The other day I spelled it "gos." In Carver's baby book. In permanent marker. I'm already starting to lose my mind.)

Inspired by the current state of our country's economy and the current state of our family's income (I'm not working anymore), I have been trying to think of new and creative ways to save money. I've gotten really into it. I've been checking out the Publix weekly ad before I go shopping and Ethan and I are back on a cash budget, which really helps. Mostly, we just tend to go overboard with eating out, so as long as we watch that habit, we're okay. I've gotten so into the idea of saving money that after I boiled eggs the other day I went into this whole narrative in my head in a fragile voice about how we should use the left over hot water for little Timmy's bath. Alright, enough about my craziness, and on with the fun!

I will give a very cool, very homemade prize to the person who submits the best money-saving tip, by way of comment or email (valeriestonerook@gmail.com) by February 15th. It will be a little celebration of Carver's 1 month birthaverssary. Of course I will post all submitted ideas so that we can all benefit, so bring em on!!!

I'll give an example. I think my mom told me my Aunt Mary used to do this: cut coupons and use the money saved (or money saved through store sales) to put towards a special savings account like vacation, Christmas or Ikea fund. Now that I think about it, sounds more like Aunt Bobbi.

While we're at it, my friend Erik writes a personal finance blog. Check it out. He is very wise and has a solid plan about getting rid of debt.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

valerie! I have this website for you, and will accept all of your gifts...

http://www.goodorfreedeals.blogspot.com/

it's someone who's way good at coupons and free things, and has links to other people who are good at coupons and free things. Also, you'll like this one just for fun...

http://littlewindowshoppe.com/

ok bye bye!

Unknown said...

Hey Val... Yeah, that would be my mom. We actually went to Disney World and a Cruise on the money my mom saved from cutting coupons and from rebates. I think we visited you guys while we were down there!

Beth Ann said...

I have an idea...actually it is from my mom. She finds the beef that is on sale (i.e. rump roast and such) and has Publix grind it up for ground beef instead of paying a crazy amount for ground beef. The meat counter doesn't mind doing it, AND, in fact, tell her that a lot of people do the same thing. Who knew???