My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://yournewblog.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Schooled

I'm on a little breakski from the research job. The people running the study in Tallahassee will take our results and analyze them and we'll go back to the schools twice before the year is over to do more testing. I'm pretty glad. I was ready for the change. Plus, now I get to spend the end of the semester (and work as I know it) at Idylwild, with the kids I love.

This week I was a substitute in both a 2nd and 3rd grade class. I think if I were to teach I would want to do one of these grades. The kids are so fun, can hold real conversations, and for the most part don't have too much attitude yet.

I decided to incorporate my mad Cha-Cha Slide skills into the classroom. When they get too noisy or I want to give instructions I say "Freeze! Everybody clap your hands..." If you've never heard this updated version of the electric slide, that's a line from the end of the song. Without any prompting whatsoever, every single one of the students in class knew exactly what I was singing, stopped what they were doing and clapped. I'm pretty sure they were amazed that their teacher knew that song. I wonder what would happen if I started singing Chris Brown. I would like to think I am the first genius to use this tool in the classroom, but I'm probably not, so Beth Ann and all my other teacher friends, feel free to use at your own discression. You might have some little girls get carried away singing and dancing to the line, "hands on your knees, hands on your knees."

I also love kids at this age because they still say some crazy stuff. One 3rd grade girl told me I was too young to be married. Then she asked me how old I actually was. When I told her I'm 24, she said "That's how old my mom is!" She's 8. And her mom is married.
Yesterday an old tutee of mine was in my 2nd grade class. She was so proud of herself that she knew all her spelling words. She showed me how she could even spell them outloud with her eyes closed! Hahaha.
Later she asked me how I "got that shirt on even though I'm going to have a baby?" I told her that they make special clothes for people that are going to have a baby. She does have a good point, though. Some of my maternity clothes are already getting too small. Sigh...

As this semester comes to an end, I'm wondering what my work life as a mom will look like (besides looking like a cute cloth diaper with not-so-cute poop in it). Should I try to make a little extra income while staying home with Carver? I could nanny other people's kids (probably kid, singularly) at our place. I could try and make/sell some kind of craft or service. FCRR said I could work as many or as few days with them as I want. This might work out if Ethan's office switches to 4 ten hour days like he thinks they will. I just don't want to pay for child care to make money to pay for child care. Nor do I want to leave my little one in day care.
And for the long term, should I focus on a career in teaching so I have the same schedule as my kids or take 1 year at Santa Fe CC and become an ultrasound tech?

If you have any words of wisdom or want to pay me for my many talents and skills, let me know.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I am curious to hear your outcome of all these questions of your mommyhood/work because they are ones that cross my mind now and I'm not even there yet. Good luck and, if I win the lottery, I will gladly pay for your at-home-ness.

Natalie said...

i will pay you at least one lunch per year to be my sister and let me be carver's 1st pick nanny... deal or no deal? please don't say no deal.